Cookie Monsters Love A Good Ginger Snap Recipe
COOKIE, COOKIE, I must confess I am a bit of a cookie monster. Crazy that I have not shared a recipe for awhile. Never fear the holidays are here and that of course means baking time. Cannot wait for you to test out these chewy ginger snap cookies, or maybe you prefer soft molasses cookie as the title.
Growing up, I always called these molasses cookies and a ginger snap was an actual snap cookie. It had to be thin and crisp and snap when you broke it in two.
Chewy Ginger Snap Cookies
This tasty little morsel can whip up quickly. Maximum twenty (20) minutes of prep and they are ready to pop in the oven. 8-11 minutes in the oven and you are eating cookies and drinking milk. I mean how awesome does that sound. Chewy Ginger Snap cookies call for cold milk am I right?
It is recommended that you let the cookies chill for an hour. So that means you can whip up a batch, go workout and then not feel guilty about eating the cookies. I mean that was a great plan in my head. Utilize the hour for errands, chores or meal prep and then get back to baking.
This will make 4 dozen cookies. Let’s see how many get added to the cookie jar shall we?
Chewy Ginger Snap Recipe
- 1 Large mixing Bowl
- 1 Spatula
- 1 2 large cookie sheets
- 1 Parchment paper or *silpat pan liner
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup Vegetable shortening
- 1 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 cup Granulated sugar divided
- 1/2 cup Molasses
- 2 Large eggs room temperature
- 4 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Ground ginger
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cream the butter, shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl with a hand-held mixer.
- Mix in the molasses, and then add the eggs and mix to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Transfer the dough to the refrigerator and chill for one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, place top oven rack in center position and pre-heat oven to 375°F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat and set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and form into 1-inch balls. Roll balls of dough in remaining ½ cup granulated sugar until coated.
- Place balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between each ball. Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 8 – 11 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned and cooked through.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool on wire rack before serving. Enjoy!