Friday nights at our house are pizza night, but not your normal take out pizza. We have a gourmet, make your own pizza party night almost every Friday. It all started a few years ago when Kent discovered a gourmet pizza dough recipe in Vines, a food and wine magazine that we subscribe to. The recipe was unique in that it called for white wine instead of water.
A family tradition started and has continued. It’s such a great tradition that the boys continued it when they went back to Thunder Bay. We gather around the kitchen and as Kent prepares the dough we catch up. A bottle of wine, some cheese and maybe the current edition of A Wine Magazine.
How do you make homemade pizza dough is a question often asked in our home. Kent is a gourmet pizza maker. Once you try this you will never go back to a standard mix.
Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Italian spices and cayenne *to taste if needed
- Mix yeast, water, wine and honey in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave for five minutes. After five minutes, remove the plastic. The mixture should be a beige slightly bubbly goopy mixture with a delicious yeast smell.
- Add salt, olive oil, flour and any other seasonings you choose. Once it has been thoroughly mixed it should have a springy texture.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for 50 minutes. While the dough is rising, get the ingredients together.
- After 50 minutes the dough will have increased in size by half. Preheat oven to 475.
- Sprinkle some flour on your counter and turn bowl upside down so dough falls on the counter, knead slightly and form into a ball, divide into two.
- Place dough on pan and roll out the dough.
- Place pan with dough in preheated oven for one minute, remove and add your ingredients. Now it's time to dress your pizza!
- Bake at 475 for 8-10 minutes on the middle rack.