After spending most of my life in Los Angeles and San Diego, I recently took a private chef gig in Portland, Oregon. On Christmas Day I packed up my life, and headed North. It’s an absolutely beautiful city, and I cannot wait to see where this opportunity takes me. Both professionally and personally, I’m so excited. As a chef, I can’t wait to see new things, foods and people. The more you see, the more you know! And the more I know about the world, the better of a Chef I become.
Living in Portland has been a culture shock for this beach bae. Missing Southern California with sun and seafood and moving to rain and what I thought would be a seafood city, ended up being a small batch beer and wine destination (not complaining).
I’ve been craving seafood but being that the seasons in Oregon are REAL, I wanted to mix it up with a “winter twist” with my veggies choices. Let’s get started, shall we?
King Crab Fried Rice
- Large pan
- Outdoor grill (you can also bake at 350 until cooked thoroughly)
- Cutting board
- Medium knife
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2-3 lbs. king crab legs
- 1 stick butter halved
- 1 cup chopped button mushrooms
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1 tsp. Trader Joe's chili lime seasoning
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. grated parmesan
- 1 tsp. Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- In a large frying pan melt half a stick of butter. Add in your chopped fresh spinach and minced mushrooms. Lightly sauté for 1-2 min. Then add your cooked rice.
- Add your Trader Joe’s Chili Lime seasoning, minced garlic and Chinese 5 spice.
- Toss lightly and consistently for about 2-3 min at high heat to get the rice toasty but not burnt.
- You can add in crab meat chunks here or wait till the end, let’s be honest, I’m greedy so I did both.
- Using scissors I cut the legs horizontally and removed the top side of the shell. With the Parmesan mixed in the butter lightly brush the legs and place them on the grill with Chinese 5 spice and cracked black pepper to taste. (or in the oven to be baked at 350 for 15min).
- Remove the crab. Plate your rice and place your legs on top. Shell provides more presentation and taking the meat out out is another option.