Are You Ready For A Spicy Sweet Ahi Poke Dish?
Throwing a dinner party or Sunday footwall game day? Or just in the mood for a quick island getaway? These toasted coconut ahi poke tostadas are to die for! The volcano in the title comes from the uber spicy, hotter than a jalapeno, too hot to cut without gloves on, chili. Especially with a super spicy and flavorful habanero chili from Melissa’s Produce. Trust me, it’s the perfect amount of heat to balance the sweet of the coconut, a perfect fusion treat.
What Is Poke?
Traditionally a native Hawaiian dish, poke is a diced fish dish that is served raw. For the last 10 years this dish has been making its way into North American culture and is more popular now than ever before. Often topped with seaweed, avocado, jalapeño, and a variety of sauces, there are a million ways to enjoy poke.
Sweet + Spicy Ahi Poke Volcano Bites
- 2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 shallot (finely chopped)
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 package gyoza wonton wrappers
- Rinse and pat dry your tuna steak. Cut it into small 1/2 inch cubes and place in a mixing bowl.2 large sashimi grade Ahi tuna steaks (about 2 pounds)
- Add the shallots, coconut, chopped green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, and sesame seeds and toss.1 shallot, 1/2 cup chopped green onion, 4 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp chili garlic sauce, 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Cover with saran wrap (plastic) and refrigerate.
- In a small frying pan set olive oil to heat at medium. Grab a gyoza paper and slowly drop in in the oil to brown each side, flipping often to evenly cook and not burn. Remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel to pick up the excess oil.1 package gyoza wonton wrappers
- Carefully slice your habanero chiles. Plate your tostada with a spoonful of deliciousness and set on top of your volcano roll a sliver of habanero heat. Trust me its the perfect balance you wont be upset. Sprinkle some sesame seeds and enjoy!