Why Is Cauliflower Everywhere?!
By now we all know cauliflower is a vegetable of many faces. It’s rice, it’s bread, it’s mashed potatoes. As we all roll our eyes at the many uses of cauliflower impersonating far better and more delicious foods, it’s hard to ignore the carb deficit that a cauliflower centric meal has.
For a veggie that mimics air when eating raw and alone, it sure can dress up and impress.
And The Award For Least Carbs Goes To…
Did you know that an average medium-sized head of cauliflower has 29g carbohydrates in it? And a regular slice of bread can be upwards of 20g carbs.
While this is a great perk of cauliflower, it’s important to remember that a low-carb or KETO lifestyle can be much higher in fat. So, if you’re truly cutting out carbs and leaning towards putting your body in ketosis, you’ll almost certainly lose weight. But don’t forget to consider your cholesterol when deciding what goes along with the low-carb diet.
I’m no doctor and we all know it’s really about balance, but make sure to keep on eye on all of your levels when you’re entering into a new diet.
If this pan of cauliflower bread sticks is cut into 12 pieces, each pieces contains:
- 65 calories
- 4g carbohydrates
- 5g protein
- 4g fat
Time to cook!
Low-Carb Cheesy Cauliflower Bread
- 1 Food processor (cheese grater will work but take much longer)
- 1 2 Medium mixing bowls
- 1 Mixing spoon/spatula
- 1 Large baking sheet
- 1 Parchment paper or nonstick baking silicone mat
- 1 Measuring cups
- 1 Measuring Spoons
- 1 medium cauliflower head *cut into smaller 1 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes *optional
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Finely food process cauliflower
- Microwave riced cauliflower for 7-10 minutes on high heat
- Once cauliflower is cool, strain the moisture out with cheesecloth or dish towel
- In separate bowl, mix cheeses and spices together
- Add half of this mixture to cooled/strained cauliflower
- Shape this mixture into a 10×10 square on baking sheet
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until edges turn golden brown
- Top with second half of cheese mixture and bake another 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and cut into 12 pieces
- *Dip in marinara or other dipping sauce if desired