Before The Southwestern Egg Roll Was Invented…
Did you know the original, Asian style egg roll was invented in the US? There are two chefs who claim the fame for it’s invention, but we can’t be sure who takes the medal.
The version we know most commonly, often sold in Chinese restaurants, is filled predominantly with cabbage, chopped veggies and maybe a minced meat. So… there’s no actual egg in an egg roll? Go figure.
In 1917, there was the first printed reference to egg rolls, but the recipe doesn’t resemble the version we know. It describes a meat and vegetable filling, but these ingredients are wrapped in a pan fried egg omelette. There’s the egg! Maybe now the name is coming full circle. If not, oh well. We’re gonna eat them anyway!
Why This Recipe Is Great
If you’re a rule follower and you want an amazing snack, meal, or appetizer, follow these instructions step by step. If you like to walk on the wild side and improvise more, feel free to tweak this recipe and make your own excellent “egg roll,” following the basic principles described.
This recipe is great for getting rid of leftover meat and veggies you may have in your fridge. It’s also super fun to make for the family or with children (just don’t let a child do the frying part-okay?) Let’s get to it!
Southwestern Egg Rolls
- Chopping knife
- Cutting board
- Medium-sized pan
- Large mixing Bowl
- Tongs (for frying)
- 1 package egg roll wrappers *usually 12 in a pack
- 12 oz. raw chicken breast *ground chicken will work too
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 6 oz. shredded carrots
- 4 oz. chopped red bell pepper
- 4 oz. chopped green bell pepper
- 8 oz. shredded cheese of your choice
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 6 cups vegetable or canola oil
- Cook chicken with salt and pepper and chop into small pieces
- Mix chicken with all veggies, cheese and taco seasoning in bowl
- Place wonton wrapper in front of you, with one corner pointing towards you
- Fill with handful of chicken/veggie mix
- Start to roll wrapper and seal with water
- Fill medium sized pan with 6-8 cups of oil and bring to med/high heat (high heat will burn egg rolls)
- Drop egg rolls into oil for 2-3 min and flip over until entire exterior is golden brown
- Let cool on paper towels (will soak up excess oil)
- Slice on an angle and enjoy!